Technorati Profile Griffith Publishing: The March of Books

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The March of Books

Urology Manual

This afternoon I sent off the Third Edition of the Pocket Guide to Urology, by Jeff Wieder, M.D., to the printer in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Before I did that I took a look and was taken back by some of the typographical features that are not quite standard. I taught Jeff everything I know about using FrameMaker to format books, and he learned well. So now he just sends me the completed book for printing and binding. All well and good, but we don't underline in printed books any more, and we line up lists by the right-most decimal, and we don't print words in bold unless we have to.

Cheerful author that he is, he assured me he knew everything I'd just told him because I'd told him before, but he wanted it this way anyway. He's always so polite and cheerful about things, I could never resist his logic. The book is going to the printer exactly the way he wants it to go. And it will do well. Very well.


No comments: